- New report from Department of Health and North West Public Health Observatory: "Protecting People, Promoting Health"
Wed 31st October 2012
- Fuse welfare study could lift pensioners out of poverty
Fri 9th March 2012
- Join Fuse to explore how the places we live impact on health and wellbeing
Thu 9th February 2012
- Learning Disabilities Observatory launched
Wed 28th July 2010
- No events for this topic.
- Winter Deaths
- North East
- European Data and Information on Health and the Social Determinants of Health
The North East has some of the best housing in England in terms of amenities and occupancy levels, despite our population having some of the worst recorded health.
Owner occupied and privately rented housing are more likely to be lacking basic amenities than socially rented housing.
The Indices of Deprivation (ID) 20043 show that the North East has considerable strengths in terms of housing, whilst being more disadvantaged generally than the rest of England.
There are significant correlations at Local Authority level and Super Output Area level between deprivation and tenure and deprivation and overcrowding.
The North East comprises 1,066,292 households; 5.2% of all households in England.
On average, there are 2.32 people per household in the North East, compared to 2.36 in England.
A quarter of households in the North East are made up solely of pensioners, a similar proportion to England (24%).
Over half of pensioner-only households in the North East comprise one pensioner living alone; the number of households made up of lone pensioners has changed little since the 1991 Census.
Pensioner-only households range from 23% of all households in the North Tees PCT area to 27% of all households in the Durham Dales PCT area.
26% of households in the North East have one or more dependent children.
A quarter of households with one or more dependent children were lone-parent households (7.3% of all households, compared to the England average of 6.4%).
There are more likely to be a higher percentage of lone-parent households in areas of greater deprivation.
- APHO Technical Briefing 5 - Geodemographic Segmentation
- North east public health workforce improvement Scoping exercise on capacity and capability to meet aims of Better Health, Fairer Health themes
- Housing for health? A screening Health Impact Assessment of the consultation draft of the Regional Housing Strategy
- Occasional Paper 09 - Census 2001 - Housing and the North East